This class will be held using the Zoom app. The project will be a relief carving of a Florida river scene featuring a manatee in the water and a house over looking the palm and cypress tree lined river banks. In addition to Dylan’s techniques for carving the house and landscape you will learn some fun techniques for using the wood burner to create a screened in porch.
Class dates: March 10th, 17th, 24th, 31st April 7th. Times: Class sessions will start at 1:30pm Eastern Time and be approximately 2 to 3 hours in length.
Format: Initially the class will start with a prerecorded video instructing you on how to apply the pattern and roughout the levels of the depth which you will want to do before the first session of the class. After that, each Zoom session will start with a live critique of the students progress, Dylan will draw on photos of the students pieces that have been emailed in before hand while explaining whatever corrections or improvements need to be made. After the critique session Dylan will demonstrate live the next steps of the carving process. The sessions will be recorded, which you will have access to for one month after the last session of the class. [Assuming Dylan remembers to hit the record button each time 🙂 and the technology doesn’t fail us.]
Project size will be 8” by 10” by 2” thick. You will provide your own wood.
Dylan will be carving the scene for the first time along with you live, so this is only a suggested tool list. This tool list is from a past project so if you’ve got tools similar you should be able to make it work.
• #2 gouges: 12mm, 3/4″ (19mm),
• #5 gouges: 5/16″ (8mm),
12mm, 1″ (25mm)
• #7 gouge: 3/8″ (10mm)
• #9 gouges: 3/16″ (5mm), 18mm
• #11 gouge: 1/8″ (3mm)
• V-tools: 1/16″ (2mm), 5/16″ (8mm)
• Spoon-bent skew chisels: 1/8″
(3mm) left, 1/8″ (3mm) right
• Woodburner with tips: skew or
Guge, micro skew
• Rotary tool with bits: needle shaped
stump cutter, 1/16″-dia.
1/32″-dia. inverted cone-shaped
• 3M radial bristle discs: 80 grit
(yellow), 400 grit (blue)
You will need the following in order to participate:
- You will need to have a smartphone, iPad or computer with webcam (laptop) and decent internet in your carving area. You will need to download the Zoom app. You do not have to sign up for a Zoom account, though it is free if you want to.
- If you have a tripod (large or small) or some other way of mounting/holding your smartphone or tablet that would probably be helpful, but is not required.
- A piece of wood approx. 8″x10″x2″
After you purchase the class, you will be emailed instructions on how to join the class.